FIFA secretary general Mattias Grafstrom described as 'excellent' and 'constructive' the meeting held on Saturday in Istanbul with the Iranian federation to ensure Iran's participation in the 2026 World Cup in the United States, Canada, and Mexico.
Iran is scheduled to be based and play all three of its group matches in the U.S., despite the ongoing conflict in the Middle East.
Positive Outcomes from the Meeting
'We've had an excellent meeting, a constructive meeting together with the Iran FA,' said Grafstrom. 'I think we're working closely together and looking very much forward to welcoming them to the World Cup.'
He added that operational matters were discussed, as with every member association. 'But I'm very happy that we were able to have this positive exchange, and both the Iran FA and FIFA are very happy with the meeting and looking forward to welcoming Team Melli in the USA, Canada and Mexico.'
Iran's Preparations
The president of the Iranian Football Federation, Mehdi Taj, had said on Thursday that no visas had yet been issued for Iran's team. However, he described Saturday's meeting as 'positive and constructive' without giving details. 'We discussed our concerns and expressed our joint commitment to ensure the smooth participation of Team Melli,' he said.
The meeting was held at the headquarters of the Turkish Football Federation, as the Iranian team prepares to leave on Monday morning for a training camp in Turkey before heading to the United States. Iran hopes to play two friendlies in Antalya, with one confirmed against The Gambia on May 29, according to Sam Mehdizadeh, an Iranian-Canadian who heads a company that arranges friendlies for the team.
Squad Selection
The team will take a squad of 30 players, which must be trimmed to the World Cup maximum of 26. While Porto striker Mehdi Taremi is on the list, star striker Sardar Azmoun, with 57 goals for the national team, is not. Azmoun, who previously voiced support for anti-regime protesters, was recently accused of 'treason' by Iranian state media after a photo showed him with the Emir of Dubai.
Coach Amir Ghalenoei defended his decision: 'I swear before God that nothing other than technical criteria played a role in the selection of the players, and I chose the 30 players solely on that basis.'
World Cup Campaign
Iran has qualified for its fourth consecutive finals. Upon reaching the U.S., the team will set up its base camp in Tucson, Arizona. They are due to kick off their World Cup campaign against New Zealand in Los Angeles on June 15, followed by matches against Belgium in the same city and Egypt in Seattle, in Group G.



