Windsor Mayor Responds to Giant Blue Bin Complaints, Pledges Smaller Options
Windsor mayor promises smaller blue bin options

Windsor residents who have been overwhelmed by the sheer size of their new blue recycling bins are about to get some relief. Following a wave of complaints, Mayor Drew Dilkens has promised that a solution is in the works, offering a smaller alternative for those who cannot manage the large containers.

Mayor Listens to Resident Concerns

During a city council meeting on Monday, Mayor Drew Dilkens addressed the public's frustration head-on. He revealed that he has been in direct contact with the CEO of Circular Materials, the non-profit organization tasked with overseeing Ontario's new recycling system. The mayor stated he expects there will soon be a clear pathway for residents to request a smaller bin if the current one is unmanageable.

"Some of them have said, 'We just can't manage a bin the size of the one that's been dropped off,'" Dilkens told council, echoing the concerns heard from many households across the city and Essex County.

The Source of the Problem: New Provincial Recycling Rules

The controversy stems from a major shift in how Ontario handles recyclable waste. Starting January 1, 2026, the financial responsibility for managing recycling is moving from taxpayers to the companies that produce the packaging and paper products. This new system, known as extended producer responsibility, is being managed by Toronto-based Circular Materials.

As part of this transition, the familiar red and blue boxes are being phased out. In their place, 95-litre wheeled blue bins began being delivered to homes in October. While intended to streamline collection, their size has proven to be a significant hurdle for many, particularly those with limited storage space or mobility issues.

Windsor Not Alone in Push for Solutions

Windsor is not the only Ontario municipality grappling with resident pushback against the new bin sizes. Mayors in York Region have also been vocal about the issue. Aurora Mayor Tom Mrakas took to social media on November 16 to report on a meeting with Ontario Premier Doug Ford.

"The Premier understands the concerns and challenges this has created for residents… and he is committed to fixing this," Mrakas wrote in a Facebook post. "That includes providing real, practical solutions — such as bin size options — so that this program actually works for our communities."

This indicates that the pressure for change is coming from multiple regions, strengthening the case for flexibility from Circular Materials. The company has already shown a willingness to adapt, having previously indicated it would accommodate requests for a second large bin for households that need more capacity.

For now, Windsor residents awaiting a smaller, more manageable recycling bin can expect more details from the city and Circular Materials in the near future as the January program start date approaches.