STM Maintenance Workers Poised for Fifth Limited Strike in Nine Months
Negotiations between the Société de transport de Montréal (STM) and its maintenance workers have reached an impasse, with a fifth limited strike likely to occur in March. This potential work stoppage would mark the fifth such action in just nine months, highlighting ongoing tensions in labor relations.
Union Seeks Authorization for New Work Action
Bruno Jeannotte, president of the union representing STM maintenance workers, stated that negotiations with management appear to be stalled. He plans to request an audience with the Tribunal administratif du travail (TAT) next week to authorize new work action. According to Jeannotte, the STM has refused to come to the negotiation table for the past two weeks.
"There isn't much left to settle at this point," Jeannotte said, noting that the sticking points primarily involve salary and the STM's desire to subcontract some tasks to the private sector. "We're going to meet with the STM as early as possible next week with a list of proposed work actions, and then we'll head to the TAT."
History of Recent Strikes and Their Impact
Since last June, maintenance workers have engaged in four limited strikes:
- The first three strikes in June, September, and November cut all bus and métro service outside morning and afternoon rush hours and the late-night shift.
- In December, the union refused to work overtime for a month, affecting the STM's ability to deploy buses.
As transit is considered an essential service, each strike action must be approved by the TAT, which typically takes about seven days to issue decisions. If the latest work action is approved, the next strike would likely occur in the first week of March.
Ongoing Negotiations and STM's Position
Negotiations between the STM and its maintenance union began in March 2024, with 138 meetings held since then. Jeannotte remarked that such negotiations often take one to two years, and past collective agreements have exceeded the two-year mark.
In an email, the STM indicated it has not yet recovered from the overtime strike that took place from December 11 to January 11. STM spokesperson Amélie Régis reported that as of Wednesday, 1,433 buses were available out of a fleet of 1,849, meaning 22.5% were out of service for repairs or inspections. Typically, less than 20% of the fleet is parked for repairs.
Régis emphasized that the STM remains available to negotiate and hopes to avoid a strike, having made several offers with bonuses and compromises that were rejected. "We have also shown that it is possible to come to an agreement despite a limited financial framework," she wrote, noting agreements with other unions representing drivers, métro operators, station agents, and administrative workers.
Union Accusations and Public Impact Concerns
Jeannotte criticized the STM's approach, arguing that comparing maintenance union job costs to the private sector is unfair and ignores the quality of service provided. He accused the STM of negotiating in bad faith and artificially keeping bus availability low to exaggerate the impact of potential strikes.
"The only way to bring us to binding arbitration is if there is a major impact on the public," Jeannotte said. "That wasn't the case in December, and we'll have to take this into consideration for our next work action. The idea is to impact the employer as much as possible while minimizing the impact on the public."
Public Transit Advocacy and Future Outlook
Public transit lobby group Trajectoire Québec expressed hope for a timely contract settlement to avert another strike. Co-director general Philippe Jacques highlighted concerns for users, particularly during cold weather. "We're defending the users, so if there is another overtime strike, it could be difficult for people waiting outside in the cold," he said.
Jacques added that it is unclear whether the STM intends to privatize its maintenance workforce extensively, noting that contacts stipulate no job losses and the STM has indicated no intention to subcontract all work.