Carlos Alcaraz has pulled out of Wimbledon because of a wrist injury, the Spanish tennis star announced on Tuesday. The decision sidelines the two-time Grand Slam champion from the prestigious grass-court tournament, which begins next week at the All England Club.
Injury Details
Alcaraz, 22, said he felt discomfort in his right wrist during practice sessions last week. Medical examinations revealed inflammation that requires rest and rehabilitation, forcing him to withdraw. "It is a difficult decision, but I must listen to my body," Alcaraz stated. "I will work hard to recover and return stronger."
Impact on Tournament
Alcaraz's absence reshuffles the men's singles draw, removing a top contender. He was seeded second and considered a favorite after winning the French Open in 2025. Defending champion Novak Djokovic now becomes the clear frontrunner, with Jannik Sinner and Daniil Medvedev also among the leading challengers.
Recent Success
Alcaraz had a stellar 2025 season, capturing his third Grand Slam title at Roland Garros by defeating Sinner in the final. He also won ATP Masters 1000 events in Indian Wells and Madrid. The wrist injury is a setback in his quest to reclaim the world No. 1 ranking.
Recovery Timeline
Alcaraz's team has not provided a specific timeline for his return, but he is expected to miss several weeks. This likely rules him out of the Hamburg European Open and potentially the US Open hard-court swing. Fans hope he will be fit for the US Open in late August.
Reactions
Fellow players expressed disappointment. Sinner said, "Carlos is a great competitor and friend. I wish him a speedy recovery." Wimbledon organizers confirmed Alcaraz's withdrawal and said a lucky loser from qualifying will take his place in the draw.
Alcaraz's absence is a blow to Wimbledon's star power, but the tournament still boasts a strong field. The men's singles final is scheduled for July 12.



