Halton Police Seize 24 Firearms in Largest Gun Bust in Service History
Halton Police Seize 24 Firearms in Largest Gun Bust

Halton Police Seize 24 Firearms in Largest Gun Bust in Service History

Halton Regional Police have made the largest firearms seizure in the service's history following a months-long drug trafficking investigation across the Greater Toronto Area (GTA). Dubbed Project Cyprus, the probe led to the recovery of 24 handguns, including 12 prohibited and 12 restricted firearms, along with significant quantities of drugs and cash.

During a news conference on Tuesday morning in Oakville, Halton Chief of Police Stephen Tanner emphasized the significance of the operation. "This is a significant step forward in our ongoing efforts to protect public safety and disrupt organized crime," he said. "This investigation targeted a sophisticated and well-organized drug trafficking network operating in and throughout our communities."

The investigation was launched in November of last year by Halton's 2 District Street Crime Unit in collaboration with the Criminal Intelligence Service Ontario. It focused on a network operating across Halton, Toronto, York, and Durham Region. Deputy Chief Roger Wilkie noted the extensive work involved: "This investigation involved months of intelligence gathering, resourcing, effort, and frankly, the police work and results our community expects and deserves. Over the course of six months, investigators dismantled a sophisticated drug trafficking network, operating across several jurisdictions."

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

In addition to the firearms, police seized 16.5 kilograms of cocaine, more than 16,000 Oxycodone tablets, 3,000 millilitres of liquid Hydrocodone, and 10,500 millilitres of liquid Codeine. The estimated street value of the drugs is $728,000. Authorities also recovered over $375,000 in Canadian currency and cryptocurrency.

Police stated that further investigation is needed to determine how the accused obtained the guns, but there is no evidence they were used in prior crimes. The firearms will likely be destroyed. Chief Tanner added: "We have removed a substantial amount of dangerous firearms from circulation: firearms destined for our streets, our neighbourhoods and, ultimately, could have been used in acts of violence."

Four men have been charged in connection with the seizure: Tevin Moulton, 31, of Oshawa; Duo Chao "Jason" Xue, 29, of Richmond Hill; Sebastian Machado, 26, of Toronto; and Todd Woodman, 36, of Mississauga. Moulton was previously subject to a firearms prohibition order. None were out on bail at the time of arrest. All are being held in custody in Milton pending bail hearings.

"This investigation is ongoing," Tanner said. "Our work does not stop here. We will continue to pursue those involved in trafficking firearms and drugs into our communities."

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration