House Speaker Mike Johnson has joined a growing chorus of Republican leaders condemning Tucker Carlson's decision to interview white nationalist Nick Fuentes, calling it a "big mistake" that should not have been given a platform.
Johnson's Strong Condemnation
In an interview with The Hill published Tuesday, Johnson delivered his firmest criticism yet of Carlson's controversial interview. The Louisiana Republican revealed he had spoken directly with Carlson about the matter, emphasizing the responsibility that comes with having a large audience.
"I spoke briefly with Tucker about that, and I think it's a responsibility. He has a lot of listeners, and I think giving Nick Fuentes that platform is a big mistake," Johnson stated. The House Speaker didn't mince words when describing Fuentes' rhetoric, calling it "vile, terrible stuff" that goes beyond antisemitism into openly racist and violent territory.
Johnson had initially expressed concerns about the interview earlier this month in comments to The National Review, but his latest remarks represent a significant escalation in criticism. While acknowledging Carlson's First Amendment rights, Johnson stressed that "we shouldn't ever amplify" such dangerous speech.
Republican Leaders Unite in Criticism
The condemnation extends beyond Johnson to other prominent Republican figures. Senator Ted Cruz of Texas delivered particularly harsh criticism, suggesting that anyone who remains silent while someone praises Adolf Hitler is "a coward" and "complicit in that evil."
Former Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell also weighed in, quoting Heritage Foundation president Kevin Roberts in stating that "conservatives should feel no obligation" to support antisemites. Roberts has since acknowledged it was a "mistake" to defend Carlson regarding the Fuentes interview.
Cruz later suggested that some Republicans might be hesitant to criticize Carlson publicly because they're "frightened" of his substantial media influence and "one hell of a big megaphone."
Trump's Contrasting Position
Former President Donald Trump has taken a notably different stance from his Republican colleagues. In comments made earlier this month, Trump dismissed the criticism of Carlson, noting that the former Fox News host has "said good things about me over the years."
Trump adopted a hands-off approach to the controversy, stating that people should "make up their own mind" about Fuentes, despite the white nationalist's repeated praise of Adolf Hitler. "If he wants to interview Nick Fuentes, I don't know much about him, but if he wants to do it, get the word out," Trump said.
The divergent responses highlight ongoing tensions within the Republican party about how to handle controversial media figures and the boundaries of free speech when it comes to amplifying extremist views.