Teenage Gunmen Attack San Diego Mosque
Three teenage gunmen opened fire at a San Diego mosque on Monday, killing three men before turning the weapons on themselves, authorities said. The attack occurred at the Islamic Center of San Diego, the city's largest mosque, during evening prayers.
Police responded to reports of gunfire at around 7:30 p.m. local time. Upon arrival, officers found three deceased adult males inside the building and the three suspects dead from self-inflicted gunshot wounds. No other injuries were reported.
Hate Crime Investigation
San Diego Police Chief David Nisleit stated that the attack is being investigated as a hate crime. "The evidence we have gathered so far indicates this was a targeted act of violence against the Muslim community," Nisleit said during a press conference. The FBI is assisting in the investigation.
The suspects, all aged 17, were identified as residents of the San Diego area. Their names have not been released due to their ages. Authorities are searching for a motive and examining the suspects' online activity and social media posts.
Community Reaction
Community leaders expressed shock and grief. "This is a devastating day for our community," said Imam Tariq Rasheed of the Islamic Center. "We are heartbroken and call for justice." Vigils and interfaith gatherings are being planned.
San Diego Mayor Todd Gloria condemned the violence, saying, "There is no place for hate in our city. We stand with our Muslim neighbors." The attack has drawn national attention, with officials calling for unity against extremism.
The Islamic Center of San Diego has been a target of threats in the past. Security measures were already in place, but the gunmen managed to enter during a busy prayer time. The investigation continues as the community mourns the loss of three men described as devoted family members and pillars of the mosque.



