The Instagram accounts of Kim Kardashian and Kris Jenner became the centre of a social media mystery this week after they quietly removed photos featuring Prince Harry and Meghan Markle.
The Disappearing Act
The photos were originally posted as part of a recap from Kris Jenner's lavish 70th birthday party, held on November 8. The James Bond-themed affair took place at the Beverly Hills mansion of Jeff Bezos and Lauren Sánchez and was attended by a host of celebrities, including Oprah Winfrey, Adele, and Mariah Carey.
Both Jenner and Kardashian initially shared images of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex on Monday. Kim Kardashian posted photos of the couple at the event, as well as a picture of herself with Meghan. Her mother, Kris Jenner, shared a photo of herself posing with them.
In the now-removed pictures, Meghan Markle wore a black, long-sleeve top and a skirt with a slit, while Prince Harry sported a coordinating black velvet tuxedo. Sharp-eyed fans were quick to notice that the images had been scrubbed from the reality stars' social media feeds later, sparking widespread speculation online.
Unravelling the Mystery
While some speculated the removal was for privacy reasons, a source close to the event provided a different explanation to People magazine. "There were no consent forms," the insider revealed, indicating that the couple had checked "no" on a photo consent form for the high-profile event.
Other reports suggest more complex motives. According to TMZ, a source claimed that Prince Harry himself requested the deletion due to the party's proximity to the U.K.'s Remembrance Day on November 11, which honours military personnel who have died serving the country. "We’re told they thought it might be better to delete the images rather than push something that could get picked up and misconstrued across the pond," the outlet reported.
Meanwhile, Page Six offered another angle, with an insider alleging that a representative for the Sussexes asked for the photos to be taken down because Harry is actively trying to reconcile with the royal family. "They don’t want to piss off the royal family while they are trying to reconcile," the source said. "They need the [royal] family. Meghan is aware of that."
Aftermath and Silence
The photo removal occurred shortly before Netflix announced the release date for the holiday special of Meghan's cooking show, "With Love, Meghan," according to Newsweek, though it is unclear if the events are related.
As of now, Kris Jenner, Kim Kardashian, and the Sussexes have not publicly addressed the missing photos. Representatives for all parties did not immediately respond to requests for comment from HuffPost, leaving the public to rely on insider accounts to piece together the story behind the digital disappearance.