Edmonton officials officially launched the 2026 construction season on Friday, offering apologies to residents for the inevitable disruptions while highlighting progress on key projects, including the Wellington Bridge, which is expected to be completed this fall—a full year ahead of schedule and under budget.
Mayor Acknowledges Disruptions
Mayor Andrew Knack made the announcement at the partially rebuilt Wellington Bridge, acknowledging the frustration construction causes for Edmontonians. "This is the time of year where Edmontonians are looking forward to sun-filled festivals, gorgeous green parks and the opening of our beloved public pools," he said. "It's also the start of our not-quite-as-beloved construction season. We have to be very honest with ourselves and Edmontonians that construction work can be disruptive."
Knack emphasized that the city is working with contractors to identify projects eligible for the accelerated roadwork program, which was piloted last year at several intersections and successfully reduced completion times. The Wellington Bridge was one of the beneficiaries of this program.
Accelerated Roadwork Program
Among the projects being considered for acceleration is a bridge-deck rehabilitation on 184 Street over Yellowhead Trail, which could potentially cut a six-month job in half. A culvert replacement project on 34 Street north of the Whitemud Freeway is also being evaluated for expedited work in the fall. Commuters are advised to check the city's online traffic disruptions map for updates.
Deputy City Manager of Infrastructure Services Sarah Nichols noted that there are more than 200 projects currently in process. Knack added that the city completed more than 60 projects in 2025 and is on track for similar results in 2026.
Safety and Photo Radar
Officials are reminding residents to follow traffic signals around construction zones and drive safely. While the provincial government has limited where police can operate photo radar, construction zones remain an area where enforcement is allowed, should the city apply. Knack said the city would monitor construction zones and apply for the right to use photo radar if necessary.
Necessary Evil
Ward Nakota Isga Coun. Reed Clarke described construction as a "necessary evil" to keep Edmonton growing. "Building a great city takes work. Sometimes that work is loud, long and constant," he said. "But behind every construction sign is a purpose. It means safer roads, better transit, improved accessibility and infrastructure that supports families, businesses, emergency services and future growth. I know how much construction affects your daily life and I understand we have not made this easy all the time for you. This season always requires patience, but it's always in the service of something bigger and we need to remember that."
Fire and emergency rescue services will be redeploying to work around construction, and emergency access will remain open through all construction zones.



