Tearful Kostyuk Reaches French Open 2nd Round After Missile Attack
Kostyuk Advances at French Open Amid Missile Attack News

Marta Kostyuk of Ukraine broke down in tears after advancing to the second round of the French Open on Sunday, revealing that a missile attack had struck her hometown back in Ukraine. The emotional victory came after she defeated Spain's Oksana Selekhmeteva in straight sets, 6-3, 6-4, on Court Suzanne Lenglen.

Emotional Win Amid Tragedy

Following her match, an overwhelmed Kostyuk spoke to reporters, her voice trembling. 'I just found out that a missile hit my city,' she said, pausing to compose herself. 'It's hard to focus on tennis when you know your family and friends are in danger.' The 24-year-old did not specify which city was affected but confirmed that her loved ones were safe.

Support from the Tennis Community

The French Open crowd showed their support with a standing ovation as Kostyuk left the court. Fellow Ukrainian players, including Elina Svitolina, have also spoken out about the ongoing war, using the tournament as a platform to raise awareness. Kostyuk's match was briefly interrupted earlier in the day by a protest from environmental activists, but she remained composed to secure the win.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Kostyuk will next face either American Madison Keys or French wildcard Clara Burel in the second round. Despite the emotional toll, she vowed to continue fighting for her country. 'I play for Ukraine, for the people who can't be here,' she said. 'Every win is for them.'

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration