Trump Says US in No Rush to Sign Iran Deal Amid War Updates
Trump: US Not Rushing into Iran Deal

President Donald Trump declared on Sunday that the United States will not hurry into an agreement with Iran, despite reports that a deal to end the three-month-long Middle East conflict was taking shape. In a post on Truth Social, Trump wrote, "The negotiations are proceeding in an orderly and constructive manner, and I have informed my representatives not to rush into a deal in that time is on our side." He emphasized that the U.S. blockade of Iranian ports would remain in full force until an agreement is finalized and signed.

Trump reiterated that Iran must understand it cannot develop or procure a nuclear weapon or bomb. His statement followed his announcement on Saturday that a deal to extend a ceasefire and reopen the Strait of Hormuz had been "largely negotiated." Senior U.S. officials, however, told reporters during a separate briefing that no deal would be signed on Sunday, as both sides continue to negotiate precise language on key issues, including the immediate reopening of the Strait of Hormuz. It may take several days for final approval from both sides.

Shipping traffic along the Strait of Hormuz has been largely halted since the conflict began in late February, leading to soaring fuel prices. Before the war, roughly a fifth of the world's oil supply passed through this critical maritime chokepoint.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Details of the Proposed U.S.-Iran Deal

According to an Axios report, the memorandum of understanding (MOU) that the U.S. and Iran are close to signing would extend the ceasefire by 60 days, with the possibility of further extensions if mutually agreed upon. During the ceasefire, the Strait of Hormuz would be reopened without tolls, and the U.S. would lift its blockade on Iranian ports, allowing Iran to sell its oil freely. The draft MOU includes commitments from Iran not to pursue a nuclear weapon and to enter negotiations on giving up its stockpile of highly enriched uranium while pausing any new enrichment. The New York Times also reported, citing two anonymous U.S. officials, that Iran had agreed to give up its stockpile of highly enriched uranium. Additionally, the draft MOU specifies that the conflict in Lebanon between Israel and the Iran-backed militant group Hezbollah would end.

Iran Denies Giving Up Enriched Uranium

A senior Iranian source told Reuters on Sunday that Tehran has denied agreeing to give up any enriched uranium in a preliminary ceasefire deal. The source stated that the nuclear issue is not part of the preliminary agreement. Iran's nuclear program remains a central sticking point in the talks, with Iran insisting it is not seeking a nuclear weapon.

Netanyahu Comments on Emerging Deal

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu responded on Sunday to reports of an emerging U.S.-Iran agreement, stating that "Iran will not have nuclear weapons." In a post on X, Netanyahu said, "President Trump and I agreed that any final agreement with Iran must eliminate the nuclear danger. That means dismantling Iran's nuclear enrichment sites and removing its enriched nuclear material from its territory." He added that President Trump reaffirmed Israel's right to defend itself against threats on every front, including Lebanon.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration